Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chickpea Burger

You know what's extremely weird? Sometimes I actually prefer a meatless burger to an all-beef one.
 

I'm not a vegetarian. I eat meat and seafood often. But, still, most of the time, my burger cravings are for something filled with beans and vegetables, not beef.

Strange, right?

I think it has to do with that heavy feeling you sometimes get after eating a classic hamburger. You know, when you feel like someone secretly tied invisible weights to your shoes?

I hate that feeling. Like, a lot.

 
It's just not a good way to go about your day, in my opinion.  Simple as that. No matter how good my most recent meal might have been, if I have to go around with that awful stomach ache for the next few hours, it probably wasn't worth it.

Also, if I'm already completely filled up after the main course of a meal, it probably means that dessert, is not such a good idea.

And me without dessert = very very bad.


So, getting back to the point, when I had a burger craving a couple nights ago, these Chickpea Burgers definitely hit the spot.

They were super fast to throw together (especially if you prepare the patties ahead of time), full of flavor, and perhaps most importantly, left me without that icky feeling that I despise so much.

Needless to say, dessert did make an appearance that night.

 
Vegan Chickpea Burgers - original recipe can be found here

  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/8 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 can chickpeas (or garbanzo beans)
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled
  • 1/2 cup parsley leaves
  • 1 tablespoon tahini
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon cumin

  • Drain and rinse chickpeas, then set aside.  In a food processor, combine oats and sunflower seeds, and blend until coarsly ground into crumbs.  Chop carrot into small pieces, and add to food processor along with remaining ingredients.  Process until well combined, stopping to scrape down sides if necessary.  Form mixture into 4 equal sized patties.  In a skillet, pan fry patties for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until they're lightly browned.  Serve with lettuce, tomato, or anything else you can think of!
     

     A bit more about the burgers since I spent most of this post rambling on about annoying belly aches:
     
    - They're light. Don't get me wrong, the taste is totally delicious, but some of you out there might want to help yourself to two, especially if you're not planning to serve with a side dish (or dessert) of some sort
     
    - If you like falafel, these burgers are right up your alley. The taste is similar and the texture is too, though these burgers are healthier because they aren't deep fried.
     
    - If you have some extra time before your planning on serving these burgers, I highly reccommend you freeze the already made patties before pan frying them. This helps the burger keep its shape, and makes the meal come together even more quickly when it's time for dinner to be served.
     

    Now, without further ado, I tell you "Enjoy!" and please think if these burgers next time you want a light and delicious meal that won't leave you weighed down afterwards.
     
    Revisited Recipe of the Day:

    Carrot Chickpea Hummus



     


    Pin It!

    1 comment: